On May 2012, a woman almost lost not just her legs but also her life two days after innocently shaving her bikini line.

Dana Sedgewick, 44, a former chef decided to trim her bikini line.

She used a new razor and noticed a small pimple that kept bleeding. However, she ignores the bleeding pimple.

Dana said: “Like a lot of women, I tried to keep a tidy bikini line. So I had a quick trim with a new razor.

‘I didn’t think anything of it as I often got a rash from shaving.”

But it was a big mistake as she ended up in a coma after the pimple developed into necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating infection.

Dana, a mother-of-three from Sheffield, first experienced dizziness and nausea two days after shaving.

She then visited her doctor and took a swab of the area and prescribed antibiotics but later that day her eldest daughter Megan discovered her in bed, with her legs covered in a bloody red rash.

Then Dana’s doctor called to say that the swabs revealed she had a serious bacterial infection and that she needed to go in for another examination.

However before her husband Mathew, a landscape gardener can bring her to the hospital, Dana collapsed. An ambulance was called and rushed her to the trauma unit at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield.

Doctors diagnosed her with the condition causing bacteria to release toxins that attack the surrounding soft tissue. It can be caused by a minor cut or scratch.

Dana recalled, “By the time I got to the hospital, my legs were covered in black, rotting flesh. It was touch-and-go as to whether I’d make it.”

For over ten hours, surgeons battled to save Dana’s legs. Cutting through seven inches of infected skin, they removed the diseased flesh and reapplied skin from her back.

But the worst thing happened, Dana develops sepsis and doctor gave her just a 30 percent chance of survival after going into septic shock. Dana’s kidneys failed, while her heart stopped four times.

The medics made a decision to put Dana into induced coma for nine days to increase her chances to survive the ordeal.

Dana recalls, ‘When I woke up, my legs were covered in bandages and I had no idea what had happened. I thought I’d been in a car accident. But when the surgeon asked me if I remembered shaving, I suddenly recalled trimming my bikini line. He told me that the spot on my groin had become infected, and I’d been very lucky to survive.”

Dana was transferred to the hospital’s burns unit for specialist treatment and was able to see her legs for the first time.

She said: ‘It was horrific. All of my muscle had rotted away, and I had a crater of skin near my groin. I felt like I was going to throw up. But I knew that it could have been much, much worse. I could easily have lost my legs – or worse, died.’

Dana, who has been left with extensive scarring, said, ‘It didn’t feel like my own body anymore. But with Mat’s support, I grew to see the scars as a reminder of how brave I’d been, and how lucky I was to survive.”

Now, Danas has fully recovered with the support of her husband, Mathew, 47, and is back at home with her children – Megan, 18, Freya, 14, and Klara, 9.

Dana’s terrifying ordeal reminds us not to ignore even a simple pimple especially if it keeps bleeding. This kind of negligence could someday cost a limb or worse our own lives.

Via: Metro