A newborn baby girl almost die and was fortunate that doctors was able to pull her from the brink of death in the nick of time, all because of a simple kiss.
- Eight-weeks old baby girl nearly died because of a simple kiss
- Eliza Hobbs was found pale and lifeless in her cot and was rushed to the hospital
- Doctors performed CPR ad was able to save the newborn and was placed into a medically induced coma.
Eliza Hobbs was found ‘pale and lifeless’ in her crib by her parents Thomas and Sophie.
Unaware of what had happened, they rushed her to hospital where doctors performed CPR while the couple could do nothing but watch, fearing for their baby’s life.
According to Tom, ‘I went in to see her and she was lifeless. She was really pale and wasn’t responding. I knew there was something really wrong so I phoned an ambulance.
‘There was this feeling of dread and absolute fear. We were thinking “is she going to pull through or is this the end for her?”.
‘When we got to the hospital she was put into a little cot and on high flow oxygen.
‘She suddenly went blue and 20 doctors rushed round the bed. It felt like we were in the center of an earthquake – like we’d been pushed to the back of the room and all we could do was watch our daughter and we couldn’t do anything to help her.
‘At that point we thought we’d lost her. They were performing CPR on her. She stopped breathing for about a minute but they managed to bring her back round.’
Watch the video
Then, baby Eliza was transferred to another hospital where she was placed into a medically induced coma.
Thomas said: ‘They were listening to her chest and could hear secretions. They took swabs to try and find out if it was viral or bacterial infection.
‘They couldn’t identify what it was from the results so put it down to a chest infection but we think it was bronchitis. She was put into a medically induced coma.
‘It was the worst scenario we could imagine. We just stood at the end of the bed and couldn’t take our eyes off her. We thought we were going to watch her take her last breath.
‘She was in coma for five days and three or four times they had to perform CPR because she stopped breathing.
‘It could have been a cold that would have just passed had it been an adult but it developed into a massive chest infection which became life-threatening.’
With God’s grace Eliza was able to breathe on her own again and went home after seven days in intensive care.
Her father said, ‘When she came round properly she couldn’t cry. She sounded like a purring kitten because of the swelling on her chest and in her windpipe.
‘It’s like you could sense the pain and confusion. It really upset us.
‘Every day she’s getting a bit better and less chesty. Bringing her home was amazing – just being able to give her that safety and security and she could become part of the family.
‘She’s a little fighter. She fought when she was born and she’s had to do it again.
‘She’s mischievous and she’ll burst into these little smiles and giggles. She’s beautiful and I wouldn’t have her any other way.
‘Thankfully she’s going to make a full recovery and we’re able to enjoy her as new parents.’
The couple, from Billingham, County Durham, are now urging other parents to beware and warned them not to let other people kiss your baby.
Sophie said, ‘I want to make all parents aware please please keep warm in the cold weather and keep your babies warm too.
‘I just want to warn all parents as it is heartbreaking for me and my husband to see our baby girl like this. Please do not let other people kiss your baby.’
Thomas added: ‘A simple lovable kiss could have killed our baby.
‘The message I want to get out there is if anyone has a cold don’t let them kiss your baby. It can be passed on through colds, cold sores, viruses.
‘Make sure you wrap your child up warm and that you have plenty of blankets when you take them out, even if it’s just nipping to the shop.
‘We are very protective parents and this still happened to us. We don’t know where she picked it up from but it could have been deadly.
‘People need to make sure they wash their hands – simple things like that and if they’ve got a cold stay away until it’s gone.’
I know it’s hard not to kiss a baby when they’re around but we must learn from this parents who almost lost their child because of it.